This video covers some basic concepts for scaling our API in the future. This will ensure we're able to expand cleanly when needed.
- [Narrator] If you've been following along…in this course to this point,…you may be a little anxious.…I know I am.…After all, what started as a simple API…has ballooned into something more.…Something much more than we could've considered.…While that's great from one aspect,…it's terrible from another.…After all, this whole thing used to be easy.…So with that in mind, let's talk about scaling here.…It's not in terms of supporting more traffic or more users.…It's in terms of making sure this API is supportable…and extensible for months and , potentially, years to come.…
With that in mind, let's look at three main areas,…Routes, Controllers, and Versioning.…First, Routes.…Routing becomes the single biggest problem the fastest.…If you support all four verbs; get, put, post, and delete,…on every single object in your system,…you will end up with dozens of routes…with only three objects.…If you have five or 10 different objects…with a few complex workflows,…well, it becomes a mess pretty quickly.…As we've just witnessed in our own API.…
This course begins with a simple application specification and builds it one step at a time. Each chapter includes a key concept, with examples from other public APIs, and then shows how to build it yourself with Slim. Learn about URL routing, validating input, and generating response codes and hypermedia payloads. Like any project, the first implementation may be a little messy but don't worry. The last chapter covers refactoring and what it takes to scale and support the API going forward.
- Understanding the project goals
- Setting up the database
- Adding authentication in Slim
- Using cross-framework and authentication middleware
- Creating a read-write API in Slim
- Uploading files via the API
- Adding file security
- Creating payloads and response codes in Slim
- Scaling your API
Skill Level Beginner
PHP Date and Time Essential Trainingwith David Powers4h 31m Intermediate
PHP: Managing Persistent Sessionswith David Powers2h 41m Intermediate
1. Project Explanation and Goals
2. Authentication Options and Tradeoffs
Cross framework middleware1m 32s
3. Create a Read-Write API
4. File Uploads via API
5. Scale Your API
Next steps1m 46s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.