This video demonstrates how to handle the basics of routing. build simple segment/url parameter parsing;
- [Narrator] First, we have to understand that a route…is simply a mapping of HTTP verb and a URL pattern…into the controllers which actually do the work.…This defines which request we will accept…and how we'll process them.…For example in our chatter application…we'll need to allow users to retrieve messages…that have already been posted.…In this case we need to have something…to support a get messages path…and probably map that into a controller…that retrieves the messages.…If we leave the URL as the default messages…we'll probably get all the messages.…
While that works when there are only a handful of users…that will cause major problems longer term.…Therefore, we'll likely need to add parameters…such as message id to make sure we only get the one…that we need at that time.…Notice that this limitation might come from improving…the user experience or from internal operations…to simply keep the servers online.…Anyway, this sort of change is simply a refinement…of our routing, not a complete replacement.…In our hands on portion, we'll do this for real…
This course begins with a simple application specification and builds it one step at a time. Each chapter includes a key concept, with examples from other public APIs, and then shows how to build it yourself with Slim. Learn about URL routing, validating input, and generating response codes and hypermedia payloads. Like any project, the first implementation may be a little messy but don't worry. The last chapter covers refactoring and what it takes to scale and support the API going forward.
- Understanding the project goals
- Setting up the database
- Adding authentication in Slim
- Using cross-framework and authentication middleware
- Creating a read-write API in Slim
- Uploading files via the API
- Adding file security
- Creating payloads and response codes in Slim
- Scaling your API
Skill Level Beginner
PHP Date and Time Essential Trainingwith David Powers4h 31m Intermediate
PHP: Managing Persistent Sessionswith David Powers2h 41m Intermediate
1. Project Explanation and Goals
2. Authentication Options and Tradeoffs
Cross framework middleware1m 32s
3. Create a Read-Write API
4. File Uploads via API
5. Scale Your API
Next steps1m 46s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.