Join Kevin Skoglund for an in-depth discussion in this video PHP time zone identifiers, part of Easy PHP Projects: Time Zone Conversion.
- [Voiceover] In this chapter we're going to talk about…how we can configure time zones in PHP.…And to do that we first need to start out…by talking about how PHP…handles time zone identifiers.…In other words, what time zone are we in?…How do we identify the time zone…that we want to talk about?…The best resource for finding these…time zone identifiers is going to be…on the php.net website.…php.net/manual/E-N…or if you want to go to the manual…in a different language…you can just start it manual…and navigate to the right language.…
but if you're using the English version…E-N/timezones.php.…Let's take a look at that now.…So you can see the list of supported time zones.…And they've broken it down…by geographic area.…So for example,…if you're in America, like me,…you can click on America and you'll see…a list of all of the American time zones.…It's a very long list.…Now for me, I'm in the east coast.…So New York is going to be the closest…big city to me.…So america/new_york is going to be my time zone.…
Even though I'm not actually in New York…
- Understanding the history and purpose of time zones
- Setting a default time zone in PHP
- Using the PHP DateTime and DateTimeZone classes
- Working with daylight saving time transitions
- Allowing users to select their time zone
- Displaying times in the user's preferred time zone
- Calculating the current times of major cities
- Creating a complete time zone calculator
Skill Level Beginner
1. About Time Zones
2. Default Time Zone
3. Working with Time Zones in PHP
4. User Time Zone Selection
5. Respect the User's Time Zone
6. Current World Times
7. Time Zone Calculator
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.