- Using generators to create simple iterators
- Dereferencing strings and arrays
- Enhancing security with the password hashing API
- Replacing APC with OPcache
- Normalizing Boolean and unpack() behavior
- Surveying the removed, incompatible, and deprecated functionality
Skill Level Intermediate
- [Voiceover] Hi, I'm Jon Peck and welcome to PHP 5.5 First Look. In this course we'll explore the new functionality and changes in the latest version of PHP. I'll start with new features in PHP, including the password hashing API and the new opcache. Throughout this course we'll develop practical examples using a deck of common playing cards that will exercise PHP's new and updated features. We'll even perform some benchmarking to compare the speed differences between major versions, which will be particularly helpful when determining whether or not it's worth it to upgrade.
Let's get started.