PHP 5.4 New Features
In this course, author Drew Falkman shows how to install the latest version of PHP, the popular web application server, and reviews the performance enhancements and language improvements in the 5.4 release, including short array syntax, function arrays, and support for the $this reference to current objects in closures. The course also introduces traits, the mechanism for code reuse in single inheritance languages such as PHP.
- Installing PHP 5.4 on Mac and Windows
- Using the built-in web server
- Monitoring upload progress
- Using the high-precision timer
- Using class member access on instantiation
- Introducing horizontal reuse
- [Voiceover] Hi, I'm Drew Falkman. In this course, we're gonna go over some of the new features that have been added in the latest release of PHP 5.4. PHP 5.4 includes numerous enhancements to save memory usage and increase the speed and power with which it delivers your application. Additionally, it provides a host of more advanced features, a built-in web server, improvements to arrays, a host of new functions and syntax upgrades, and the addition of Traits, a powerful object-orient reuse mechanism that allows you to create special classes that can share their functionality with other classes without having to extend them.
I'm excited to introduce you to these new advancements on what was already a great programming environment. So let's gets started.
PHP 5.5 First Look32,848 Views
Up and Running with PHP: PEAR, PECL, and Composer42,166 Views
Exporting Data to Files with PHP70,037 Views
Uploading Files Securely with PHP80,123 Views
HTML5: File API in Depth60,317 Views
PHP with MySQL Essential Training4,271,059 Views
PHP with MySQL Beyond the Basics2,281,782 Views
Git Essential Training2,851,121 Views
Python 3 Essential Training2,301,583 Views