This video discusses how to manage file uploads to minimize risk to the users and the server backend.
- If you're following along, in the last section,…we successfully uploaded an image to our API,…and saved it on a disk.…While this is good first step,…it's not good enough with regards to security,…or long-term management,…to make sure everything works as expected.…So now we're going to add a few pieces of midware…to make sure the file is safe,…and we're not passing around malware.…In terms of dealing with files,…there are a variety of risks that we need to mitigate.…A malicious user could send a lot of large files…to try to crash our server.…
A file itself could be malformed,…can include stack overflow errors,…and potentially compromise a server.…Some of those same errors can compromise…our users' browsers.…Images can have sensitive information,…such as GPS coordinates.…Or maybe we just want to be ready,…in case Chatter takes off,…and we go from supporting five, to five million users…by this weekend.…Regardless of our reasons, the result is the same.…Just saving files to disk isn't enough.…But if we think about it,…
This course begins with a simple application specification and builds it one step at a time. Each chapter includes a key concept, with examples from other public APIs, and then shows how to build it yourself with Slim. Learn about URL routing, validating input, and generating response codes and hypermedia payloads. Like any project, the first implementation may be a little messy but don't worry. The last chapter covers refactoring and what it takes to scale and support the API going forward.
- Understanding the project goals
- Setting up the database
- Adding authentication in Slim
- Using cross-framework and authentication middleware
- Creating a read-write API in Slim
- Uploading files via the API
- Adding file security
- Creating payloads and response codes in Slim
- Scaling your API
Skill Level Intermediate
PHP Date and Time Essential Trainingwith David Powers4h 31m Intermediate
PHP: Managing Persistent Sessionswith David Powers2h 41m Intermediate
1. Project Explanation and Goals
2. Authentication Options and Tradeoffs
Cross framework middleware1m 32s
3. Create a Read-Write API
4. File Uploads via API
5. Scale Your API
Next steps1m 46s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.