Join Kevin Skoglund for an in-depth discussion in this video History, part of Easy PHP Projects: Time Zone Conversion.
- [Voiceover] In this chapter, we'll kick off our…exploration of time zones with a quick look at the history…of how time zones became what they are today.…Legally, socially, and commercially, it's always been…important to work from an agreed-upon time.…If a law goes into effect at midnight,…then we need to agree on when midnight takes place.…If a friend wants to meet for coffee at 11:00,…you wanna have the same time in mind…so you don't miss each other.…If a shop will be open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.,…then the customers need to be keeping…the same time as the shop.…Early on, sundials and apparent solar time…were the best way to do that.…
Basically, look at the sky, see the sun,…see how high it is in the sky, and try and decide…what time of day it is.…Over time, we began to use clocks, clock towers,…and chimes in order to keep every city in a unified time.…If you wanted to know when it was noon,…well, the clock tower told you it was noon,…and you probably heard the chimes letting you know.…And you could set your watch accordingly.…
- Understanding the history and purpose of time zones
- Setting a default time zone in PHP
- Using the PHP DateTime and DateTimeZone classes
- Working with daylight saving time transitions
- Allowing users to select their time zone
- Displaying times in the user's preferred time zone
- Calculating the current times of major cities
- Creating a complete time zone calculator
Skill Level Beginner
1. About Time Zones
2. Default Time Zone
3. Working with Time Zones in PHP
4. User Time Zone Selection
5. Respect the User's Time Zone
6. Current World Times
7. Time Zone Calculator
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.