Learn to query the database to retrieve the number of subjects using mysqli_num_rows so that it can be used to construct the options for the select-option input on the form.
- In the last two movies we learned…to create and edit records using form data.…But there was a problem with the forms that we were using.…And in this movie, we're going to learn…how to use database data to address it.…First, let's understand what the problem was.…You can see here that I have a list of subjects…that are being pulled from the database…and there are five subjects currently in my database.…Notice that the positions here are a little funky.…I've got three position ones,…and then position two and three.…I would expect instead, that these…would be numbered one through five.…The reason why it's like this…is because we're on our new subject form…we only have the option to create position one.…
The same thing is true on our edit form.…Click on Edit here next to Junk 3,…you can see we only have the choice of Position one.…That's not ideal, what we really want…is to have a list of positions that we could choose from.…That list of positions is based on…how many subjects are in the database.…So that's what I want us to do here.…
- Organizing project files
- Including and requiring files
- Working with URL parameters
- Encoding dynamic content
- Modifying headers and page redirection
- Creating forms and processing form data
- MySQL basics
- Using PHP to access database tables
- Creating, reading, updating, and deleting database records with PHP
- Validating data
- Preventing SQL injection
Skill Level Beginner
MVC Frameworks for Building PHP Web Applicationswith Drew Falkman2h 57m Intermediate
1. Start a Database-Driven Project
2. Build Web Pages with PHP
3. Headers and Redirects
4. Build Forms with PHP
5. MySQL Basics
6. Use PHP to Access MySQL
7. CRUD with PHP
8. Validate Data with PHP
9. Prevent SQL Injection
Next steps1m 8s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.