Join Jon Peck for an in-depth discussion in this video Farewell, part of PHP 5.5 First Look.
Performing any version upgrade to a programming language is always a heart …stopping process. Are the changes good enough to justify …the time it takes to check for backwards incompatible changes? …In my opinion, if you're upgrading from PHP 5.3 or 5.4, absolutely. …You can grab your code bits from effective functions fairly easily, then …deploy to your developments environment and start exercising the system. …Remember, incremental upgrades are always easier than monolithic changes, such as …going from PHP 4 to 5. So, the longer you wait, the harder it's …going to be. I appreciate your time and your interest …in PHP. Thanks for watching.…
- Using generators to create simple iterators
- Dereferencing strings and arrays
- Enhancing security with the password hashing API
- Replacing APC with OPcache
- Normalizing Boolean and unpack() behavior
- Surveying the removed, incompatible, and deprecated functionality