See how to close the connection to the database after all queries are complete.
- [Instructor] We've seen how we can connect…to the database,…and we've seen how we can use that database connection.…Now let's complete the cycle by talking about how we can…disconnect from the database.…So the way that we create a new database connection…is with that new mysqli object command…and then we can work with it,…when we're finally done we want to close it.…In the past you would do that with mysqli_close…and pass it in the database connection.…But as we've seen so often before,…there's a close method that is on that database object…that we can simply call and it will close the connection.…
Now this is completely optional.…It's not something that you have to do.…If you forget to do it, then once your PHP script exits,…PHP will close the connection.…When that object goes away, it knows that it's time…to close the connection.…But it is a good practice to go ahead and do it anyway.…So we want to be good programmers…and follow the best practices.…In order to close the connection, once we're done using it,…
Note: This is an intermediate-level training course that assumes you have existing knowledge of PHP. To refresh your skills, check out PHP Essential Training and PHP: Object-Oriented Programming.
- Creating a project database and tables
- Connecting to the database
- Database queries with OOP
- The active record design pattern
- Defining a database-driven class
- Performing common database tasks with OOP
- Creating inheritable and reusable code
- Object-oriented user authentication
- Object-oriented pagination
Skill Level Intermediate
Consuming RESTful APIs in PHP with Guzzlewith Justin Yost2h 12m Intermediate
PHP: Accessing Databases with PDO and MySQLiwith David Powers3h 47m Intermediate
1. Overview and Project Setup
2. The Database Connection
3. Define a Database-Driven Class
4. Object-Oriented CRUD
5. Object-Oriented Authentication
6. Object-Oriented Pagination
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.