In this video, you will review the choices for built-in database APIs in PHP. See how the functional and object-oriented versions of the MySQLi API are similar.
- [Instructor] In this chapter, we will learn how…to use PHP to issue database commands.…PHP offers three different ways…to connect to the MySQL database…API is the technical term for each…of these connection options.…API stands for Application Prgramming Interface.…And an API is just a set of functions…which define the way we use the software.…Let's review these three APIs,…so we can decide which one to use.…The first is MySQL.…This is just the original MySQL API, the most basic way…that we can connect to MySQL.…
The second is MySQLi.…The "I" stands for improved, so, as you can guess,…it came along after the first one.…And then the third one is PDO,…which is an abbreviation for PHP Data Objects.…All three of these are extremely similar,…and once you learn how to use one,…you can easily switch to another.…The differences are a lot like the difference…between driving different kinds of cars,…like a Honda or a Toyota.…The controls for the windshield wipers…and the headlights may be in different places,…but the overall concepts are the same,…
- Organizing project files
- Including and requiring files
- Working with URL parameters
- Encoding dynamic content
- Modifying headers and page redirection
- Creating forms and processing form data
- MySQL basics
- Using PHP to access database tables
- Creating, reading, updating, and deleting database records with PHP
- Validating data
- Preventing SQL injection
Skill Level Beginner
MVC Frameworks for Building PHP Web Applicationswith Drew Falkman2h 57m Intermediate
1. Start a Database-Driven Project
2. Build Web Pages with PHP
3. Headers and Redirects
4. Build Forms with PHP
5. MySQL Basics
6. Use PHP to Access MySQL
7. CRUD with PHP
8. Validate Data with PHP
9. Prevent SQL Injection
Next steps1m 8s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.