This video shows how to take a read only API and make it a read-write API.
- [Instructor] In this chapter, we'll focus on turning…our read-only API into a read/write API that allows…authenticated users to create new messages in the system.…While this might seem like flipping a switch and we're done,…it's not quite that simple.…We need to think about the routes,…the payload and parameters that are used,…the response codes,…and how all this is handled and processed behind the scenes.…The first piece we'll talk about is the routes.…With those aspects in mind, let's tackle the most visible…aspect first, the route.…
From our previous lab sections,…we already have a simple route of GET messages,…which allows us to retrieve a list of messages.…Since we want to create a new message, that's probably…the right endpoint.…But now we need the right verb.…With regards to HTTP, there are 15 verbs available.…There are really only four that we care about for APIs,…GET, PUT, POST, and DELETE.…GET, which we've already used, lets us retrieve data…from the API.…Not surprisingly, DELETE lets us delete data,…
This course begins with a simple application specification and builds it one step at a time. Each chapter includes a key concept, with examples from other public APIs, and then shows how to build it yourself with Slim. Learn about URL routing, validating input, and generating response codes and hypermedia payloads. Like any project, the first implementation may be a little messy but don't worry. The last chapter covers refactoring and what it takes to scale and support the API going forward.
- Understanding the project goals
- Setting up the database
- Adding authentication in Slim
- Using cross-framework and authentication middleware
- Creating a read-write API in Slim
- Uploading files via the API
- Adding file security
- Creating payloads and response codes in Slim
- Scaling your API
Skill Level Beginner
PHP Date and Time Essential Trainingwith David Powers4h 31m Intermediate
PHP: Managing Persistent Sessionswith David Powers2h 41m Intermediate
1. Project Explanation and Goals
2. Authentication Options and Tradeoffs
Cross framework middleware1m 32s
3. Create a Read-Write API
4. File Uploads via API
5. Scale Your API
Next steps1m 46s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.