Discover how data validations work, get an overview of the most common types, and learn why validations are an important tool for regulating the data a web application accepts and allows into the database in this video.
- [Instructor] In this chapter, we will discover…the importance of validating data and learn how to write…PHP code to do it.…When we accept data from users, especially from forms…that users submit, we should not just accept any data…that the user gives us.…The data may be the wrong length, it might have…the wrong format or it might be missing a value altogether.…The fact is our application has data requirements,…and it's our job to consider those requirements…and then to write code to enforce them.…You're going to spend significant time on this for every…project so it's worth learning how to do it and to avoid…the pitfalls.…
Imposing data requirements is called validating data.…You'll hear me refer to the process as passing or failing…our validations.…If it passes validations, the data was acceptable…and we can use it.…If it fails validations, that means there was a problem…with the data and we should reject it.…And most often we want to go back to the user…and ask them to fix the data and try again.…Data validations are always unique to each project,…
- Organizing project files
- Including and requiring files
- Working with URL parameters
- Encoding dynamic content
- Modifying headers and page redirection
- Creating forms and processing form data
- MySQL basics
- Using PHP to access database tables
- Creating, reading, updating, and deleting database records with PHP
- Validating data
- Preventing SQL injection
Skill Level Beginner
MVC Frameworks for Building PHP Web Applicationswith Drew Falkman2h 57m Intermediate
1. Start a Database-Driven Project
2. Build Web Pages with PHP
3. Headers and Redirects
4. Build Forms with PHP
5. MySQL Basics
6. Use PHP to Access MySQL
7. CRUD with PHP
8. Validate Data with PHP
9. Prevent SQL Injection
Next steps1m 8s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.