Learn how to create a new database table, PHP class, and staff area pages for managing the admins who are allowed to access the staff area tools.
- [Instructor] In this chapter,…we will add user authentication…to the staff area of our project.…We discussed user authentication…in the PHP with MySQL Essential Training course,…so we won't revisit all of the fundamental concepts.…However, we will learn to use…object-oriented programming techniques…instead of the procedural programming…that we learned before.…The first step is to create our admin class.…To do that, we'll first need to create a database table…to store our admins,…so I'm going to call that admins…and it's going to have a number of columns on it.…
Obviously, it will need an ID column for its primary key,…but we'll also have first_name, last_name,…email, username, and hashed_password as columns.…The hashed_password will store…an encrypted version of the password.…Once we have database table defined,…then we can define our admin class,…being sure to inherit behavior from the DatabaseObject class…so that we have all of the active record behavior…we created in the last chapter.…You can refer to the bicycle class…
Note: This is an intermediate-level training course that assumes you have existing knowledge of PHP. To refresh your skills, check out PHP Essential Training and PHP: Object-Oriented Programming.
- Creating a project database and tables
- Connecting to the database
- Database queries with OOP
- The active record design pattern
- Defining a database-driven class
- Performing common database tasks with OOP
- Creating inheritable and reusable code
- Object-oriented user authentication
- Object-oriented pagination
Skill Level Intermediate
Consuming RESTful APIs in PHP with Guzzlewith Justin Yost2h 12m Intermediate
PHP: Accessing Databases with PDO and MySQLiwith David Powers3h 47m Intermediate
1. Overview and Project Setup
2. The Database Connection
3. Define a Database-Driven Class
4. Object-Oriented CRUD
5. Object-Oriented Authentication
6. Object-Oriented Pagination
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.