Join Jess Stratton for an in-depth discussion in this video Use categories to classify mail, part of Outlook.com Essential Training (2016).
- [Jess Stratton] You may have noticed…some light grey text in your emails.…For example, in this email…there's the phrase Social updates,…and the word Documents.…In this email, there's the word Photos.…It's not a link,…and it doesn't seem to be there for any reason.…It actually is there for a reason,…you just need to turn on the functionality.…These are categories.…Outlook.com uses categories as a way for you…to classify your email.…
Instead of moving email to a folder,…you can classify emails with multiple categories…to keep them straight in your mind,…and search on them later.…For example, this email contains photos…but you could also create…a category of emails from Cecilia.…It's going to be whatever makes the most sense to you,…and your system of categorizing is…not going to be the same as somebody else's.…You can mark a category by selecting an email…and clicking Categories at the top of your screen.…It comes with several colored categories,…but you can create your own by clicking new category.…
I can type in my category.…
- Changing the theme and display settings
- Composing, formatting, and drafting messages
- Working with attachments and photos
- Viewing or editing Office documents while replying
- Organizing mail into folders
- Archiving, deleting, and restoring mail
- Working with Clutter
- Using categories to classify mail
- Creating rules for processing mail
- Adding email accounts to Outlook.com
- Creating a mail signature
- Working with the Calendar
- Using Skype instant messaging
Skill Level Appropriate for all
1. Get Started with Outlook.com
2. Send, Read, and Reply to Messages
3. Organize and Search Mail
4. Manage Your Outlook.com Account and Settings
Create a mail signature1m 53s
5. Work with People
6. Work with the Calendar
7. Use Other Features of Outlook.com
Use add-ins with Outlook.com2m 45s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.