In this video, staff author Jess Stratton shows users how to change miscellaneous options in Outlook, such as setting work hours, adding an additional time zone to the calendar, changing new mail behavior, and removing the weather panel.
- [Instructor] We've gone over a lot of settings that you can change to make Outlook work for you. We've changed fonts, and colors, and view properties, and there's just a few more things that you can change. I know it's a lot to take in but this is something that you need to know where it is. You can set general Outlook options to further customize some more things. Click file on the top left-hand side of your screen and go all the way down to options. It's going to open up the Outlook options screen.
You can go through all of these settings and get it set up just the way you want. For example, click the mail tab to get back into your signature file. You can customize how and when items get marked as read. You can choose what happens when a new message arrives. For example, if you don't like the sound or the desktop alert, you can uncheck it. In the calendar area, you can choose the start time, end time, and current days of your work week.
And those are the days that's going to show up when you change to the work week view on your calendar. You can set the default reminder time for new appointments, you can add a new time zone if you want, and if you don't wanna show the weather at all on your calendar, you can uncheck this and it will go away. You can go through all of these options, there's no right or wrong. In fact check them a few times a year because what works for you now may not work for you in a few months.
When you're all done, click OK. And you'll be brought back to Outlook.
- Connecting your email account to Outlook
- Reading mail
- Searching for mail
- Organizing mail with flags, folders, and rules
- Creating and sending new email
- Creating new contacts
- Adding delegates
- Creating meetings and appointments in the Outlook calendar
- Creating tasks
- Backing up Outlook data
Skill Level Beginner
Q: This course was updated on 11/09/2018. What changed?
A: A new video was added that covers the simplified ribbon in Office 365.
1. The Latest Features in Office 365
Simplified ribbon1m 4s
2. Get Started and Connect Accounts
3. Read Mail
4. Organize Mail
5. Create and Send Mail
6. Create and Work with People
7. Work with Delegates
8. Work with the Calendar
9. Work with Tasks and Outlook Data
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.