In this video, staff author Jess Stratton shows users how to create folders and subfolders, and organize messages and conversations out of the Inbox.
- [Instructor] If you like to file your mail out of the Inbox, you can file them into subfolders. To create a folder, right-click on the Inbox and select New Folder. Type in the name and hit the Enter key. The folder is created right below the Inbox. If you find that you can't find your folders, you may need to click to expand this triangle to see it. To move mail into the folder, click and drag, and let go when the email is right over the folder.
Now I can click inside my folder and there it is. I can also create subfolders in the same way. I can right-click on the folder I just created. In addition to renaming it or deleting it if I'm done with it, I also have the option to create a new folder. I'll give Leslie her own folder inside TechFest. Let's go back to the Inbox.
I can select multiple emails by Leslie by selecting one, holding the Shift key down, and clicking the one right next to it. Now I can move both of them at the same time by clicking and dragging one of them and letting go when I'm over Leslie's folder. I do have a feeling I'm going to be using Leslie's TechFest folder pretty often, so I'll right-click and choose Show in Favorites. This is going to bring Leslie's folder up here so I can access it any time, quickly, when I need it. Let's make one more folder within Inbox.
I'll right-click Inbox, choose New Folder, and I'll call this one Press. I'll find a press email and click and drag. Now, within Inbox, I have a Press folder and a TechFest folder. And within the TechFest folder, I have a subfolder named Leslie. There's one more thing I can do. I can mute a conversation. That is, place all conversations from a certain person into a certain folder.
I'll go back to my Inbox. As you remember, we had this long conversation here. I can click and expand it and you can see the conversation. From the Home ribbon tab, I'll select Move. And now, I'm going to choose Always Move Messages in This Conversation. I'll choose a destination folder by clicking the down arrow next to Inbox.
I can choose a folder, but if that folder doesn't exist, I can click New. I'll call this one Initial Meetings. I'll click Okay. And click Okay again. Now the entire conversation and any future messages that come in with that conversation thread will be sent right into this Initial Meetings folder.
- Connecting your email account to Outlook
- Reading mail
- Searching for mail
- Organizing mail with flags, folders, and rules
- Creating and sending new email
- Creating new contacts
- Adding delegates
- Creating meetings and appointments in the Outlook calendar
- Creating tasks
- Backing up Outlook data
Skill Level Beginner
Q: This course was updated on 11/09/2018. What changed?
A: A new video was added that covers the simplified ribbon in Office 365.