Outlook power tip #11: Use add-ins to extend Outlook's functionality. Switch to Email and click Add-Ins at the far right on the ribbon. Select the add-in you wish to add to outlook. You may be prompted to restart Outlook.
- Outlook comes to us with built-in functionality. These are the features that almost everyone would want to be able to use, but there might be more features that your specific organization would like to be able to use. For example, I've received this email and would like a translation. I get a fair amount of email that comes to me in Spanish but I like to double check my reading of it. So I'm going to get an add-in that will help me with this. Go to the home tab on the far right under add-ins click get add-ins and the add-ins you have available to you are add-ins that are approved by your organization. So you might have admin managed add-ins. These are admins that are already deployed so I already have access to them for example suggested meetings, Bing Maps and Action Items. But I can add other add-ins as well. So to that I'm going to go to all. I actually want something that will translate for me. So lets, "transla" get me the first part of translate Translator for Outlook sounds good to me lets go take a look and this comes to me from Microsoft. by turning it on I agree to license terms and policies. It costs me nothing it has four stars. And I can scroll down and see more information about it. Some people don't like it some people like it that's okay. I always remember that people who don't like something are far more likely to leave feedback for it. Its now been added this is the same place I'd come back to to remove it by the way, under get add-ins. But I'm going to simply choose get started. It tells me I can't access this add-in while reading emails. Launch the Outlook add-in while reading emails and take actions in the context of the email. And it shows me where this will be on the far right side and that it is only available in emails. Oh, and there it is popped right in there, cool. So I'm going to select this text choose translate message here comes the translator pane opened by the add-in and it's being translated to English. And there's my message. It's correctly detecting that this is Spanish. Translating it to English because that's the language that I have set. Now if I wanted to take some text and translate it into another language for example. This block of text and I wanted to get a rough translation into Spanish. I could choose that I want to translate this. Here's the translator pane it's going it's translate it to English. That will not be hard at all but lets say I wanted to translate this for example to German. And we'll give it a second, there's the subject translated. There's the body text translated. If this is something that is important that I'm sending, it's important also that I have somebody else check this, this is machine translation but this translation is better and better all the time regardless of who the provider is. Translate isn't the only add-in available if you'd like Outlook to do something for you beyond what it already does grab an add-in.
- Finding a contact in seconds flat
- Listening to email
- Reusing text with Quick Parts
- Color-coding emails
- Making use of Favorites
- Automating email with rules
- Creating new tasks quickly
- Rescheduling appointments
- Cloning appointments
- Linking contacts
- Setting up an out-of-office message