In this video, staff author Jess Stratton shows users how to archive mail to leave it searchable, delete mail, and recover lost emails and empty the deleted items folder.
- [Instructor] When you're going through and reading your E-mail, the last two things that you might wanna do is delete or archive the mail. Delete an E-mail when you absolutely know you won't be needing it again. Archive an E-mail when you wanna get it out of your inbox, but wanna leave it searchable, should you ever need it in the future. To delete an E-mail, you can either click the delete icon all the way on the right hand side while you're reading the E-mail, or click delete from the home ribbon tab.
To archive an E-mail, click archive, which is right next to the delete button on the home ribbon. It's going to move it into a special archive folder that you can find on the left hand side in the navigation pane. Here's all of my archived mail. A great feature about archiving E-mail is that when I'm searching my inbox, it will also automatically search my archive folder. So I never have to worry about not finding an E-mail, but it won't be cluttering up my inbox.
To access any E-mails that you've deleted, click the deleted items folder. Here's what we just deleted. There's a few things that I can do with this. If I decide I want it back, I can click and drag it to the inbox, just like when we move something into a folder. I can also delete something that's in the deleted items folder. This is going to permanently delete the item. With the E-mail selected, hit the delete button. I'll be prompted that it's going to permanently delete the item.
I'll click yes. Deleted items will stay in here for 30 days, unless it's been changed by your network administrator. You may find that you need to get something back. In that case, while still in the deleted items folder, click recover items recently removed from this folder. Here is where you can see a list of things that had been permanently deleted from deleted items. I can click on it, make sure restore selected items is selected, and choose OK.
The message will be put back in the deleted items folder. From here, I can take it and drag it back to my inbox. The last thing that you might wanna do is clear the entire contents of the deleted items folder all at once. To do that, click file on the top left hand side of the screen, select info on the left hand side, tools, and then select empty deleted items folder.
It will remind you that everything is going to be permanently deleted. Click yes, and the entire folder gets purged. To get back to your inbox, click the back arrow on the top left hand side of the screen.
- Connecting your email account to Outlook
- Reading mail
- Searching for mail
- Organizing mail with flags, folders, and rules
- Creating and sending new email
- Creating new contacts
- Adding delegates
- Creating meetings and appointments in the Outlook calendar
- Creating tasks
- Backing up Outlook data
Skill Level Beginner
Q: This course was updated on 11/09/2018. What changed?
A: A new video was added that covers the simplified ribbon in Office 365.