In this video, Jess Stratton shows users how to archive mail to leave it searchable, delete mail, recover lost emails, and empty the deleted items folder.
- [Instructor] When you're going through and reading your email, you have two more options that you can perform on that email. You can delete it or archive it. Delete an email when you absolutely know you won't be needing it again, but you wanna get it out of your inbox. Archive an email when you also wanna get it out of your inbox but you wanna leave it searchable if you ever need it in the future. To delete an email, all the way on the right-hand side you can click the delete icon, or at the very top of the screen, click delete.
To archive an email, right next to the delete button on the home ribbon tab, click archive. It's going to move it into a special archive folder that you can find on the left-hand side in the navigation pane. Here's my archived email. A great feature about archiving emails is that when I'm searching my inbox, it will also search the archive folder so I never have to worry about not finding an email, but it won't be cluttering up my view. To access any item that you've deleted, click the deleted items folder.
Here's what we just deleted. There's a few things I can do with this. If I decide I want it back in my inbox, I can click and drag and let go when it's in the inbox, just like when we move something into a folder. It will take it out of my deleted folder and bring it back to the inbox. I can also delete something that's in the deleted items folder. This is going to permanently delete the item. I'll click yes, and now it's gone. Deleted items will stay in here for 30 days.
You may find that you need something back. In that case, click recover items recently removed from this folder. Here's where you can see a list of things that were deleted from the deleted items folder. I can click on it, click restore selected items, and then click OK. The item will be put back in the deleted items folder. From here, I can take it and move it to my inbox. It gets put back. The last thing you might wanna do is completely delete the entire contents of your deleted items folder.
To do that, click file on the top left-hand side of your screen. On the info tab, click tools. From here, you can select empty deleted items folder. It's going to remind you that everything's going to be permanently deleted. I'll click yes to continue and the entire folder gets purged. To get back to your inbox, click the back arrow.
- Accessing the keyboard shortcuts
- Using @mentions
- Reading and searching mail
- Organizing mail
- Processing messages with mail rules
- Using the new Focused Inbox feature
- Creating and formatting new messages
- Recalling and resending messages
- Creating new contacts
- Working with the calendar
- Creating tasks and notes
- Working with Outlook data