In this video, staff author Jess Stratton shows users how to add an additional IMAP account to Outlook, such as a personal Gmail account, and how to add the Inbox to Favorites.
- [Narrator] We've already added an Office 365 account to Outlook, but it is possible to have more than one account here. Let's add a personal account. I'll click File on the top left-hand side of the screen, click Info on the left, and then Add Account. It's going to open up the same Add Account dialogue box that we've already seen when we added the first account. So to get started, it's going to work the same way. Put in the email address of the account that you want to add. Now you should always put in the email address and click the blue Connect button.
Outlook will attempt to see if it can figure out what type of mail server settings it needs without you having to do anything. But sometimes, it can't figure it out, and you'll need to contact your internet service provider to get those settings. In this case, I'll click Advanced Options, and then let me set up my account manually. I'll click Connect, and now I need to choose an account type. I'll say that I'm putting in a generic IMAP account. This is a common scenario for a home internet service provider, such as Verizon.
I'll click IMAP, and now I need to put in the password for my email account. I'll click Connect. And Outlook has successfully added my account. If this was the first time that you've connected any sort of Gmail email account to Outlook, you may have gotten a pop-up to give Outlook permission to go in and access your Google information. In that case, you would need to click Allow. Once that happens, it's all done, and you can un-uncheck setup Outlook Mobile on my phone.
Click Done, and Outlook immediately goes to the new account and will start putting in your mail. Now that I have multiple email accounts, I can access them both on the left-hand side. Up top is the inbox for my Office 365 account. Down here at the bottom is the inbox for my Gmail account. We might want to add our Gmail account to Favorites so that we can check our email together. I'm going to right-click my Gmail inbox, and I'll select Show in Favorites.
Now at the top, I can see both inboxes for my Gmail IMAP account and for my Exchange account. Now I don't have to hop around on the left side here just to check my email. I can stick to the Favorites and go back and forth between them. So now we've added multiple email accounts to Outlook, an Exchange account and a Gmail account, and they're both running side by side.
- Connecting your email account to Outlook
- Reading mail
- Searching for mail
- Organizing mail with flags, folders, and rules
- Creating and sending new email
- Creating new contacts
- Adding delegates
- Creating meetings and appointments in the Outlook calendar
- Creating tasks
- Backing up Outlook data
Skill Level Beginner
Q: This course was updated on 11/09/2018. What changed?
A: A new video was added that covers the simplified ribbon in Office 365.