In this video, Jess Stratton shows users how to add an additional IMAP account to Outlook, such as a personal Gmail account, and how to add the Inbox to Favorites.
- [Instructor] We've already added an exchange business account to Outlook. But it is possible to have more than one account here. Let's add a personal account. I'll change to the file ribbon tab, click info on the left, and then add account. It's going to open the same add account dialog box that we've already seen, and to get started, put in the email address of the account that you want to add. Now you should always put in the email address and click the blue connect button. Outlook is going to attempt to see if it can figure out what type of mail service settings it needs, but sometimes it can't figure it out and you need to contact your internet service provider and get those settings.
In this case, I'll click advanced options and then let me set up my account manually. I'll click connect and now I need to choose an account type. In this case, I'm putting in a generic IMAP account. This is a common scenario for a home internet service provider, such as Verizon. I'll click IMAP and now I'm going to put in all the right settings that I would have gotten when I asked my internet service provider. They'll know what the mail servers are, what the right ports are, and whether or not you need to check off any of these boxes requiring logins for checking mail.
Once you've got all these details in, click connect and Outlook will attempt to connect to your mail server or you have you do some additional logging on. In this case, because it's a Google account, I need to sign in with my Google account. So I'll put in my Gmail email address, I'll click next, and my password. I'll click sign in, and I need to give Outlook permission to go in and access my Google information. I'll click allow, and it's all set up.
I'm going to uncheck the option to set up Outlook mobile on my phone. I'll click the blue OK button and Outlook immediately goes to my new account, and starts adding in the mail. Now that I have multiple email accounts, I can access them both on the left-hand side. Up top is my inbox for my exchange account. Down here at the bottom is my inbox for my Gmail account. Now that all the mail's been downloaded, we might wanna add our Gmail inbox up here to favorites so that we can check our email together.
I'm going to right click on my Gmail inbox and select show in favorites. Now at the top, I can see both inboxes for my Gmail IMAP account and my exchange account. Now we don't have to hop around on the left-hand side here just to check my email. So now we've added multiple accounts to Outlook. An exchange account and a Gmail account, and they're both running side-by-side.
- Accessing the keyboard shortcuts
- Using @mentions
- Reading and searching mail
- Organizing mail
- Processing messages with mail rules
- Using the new Focused Inbox feature
- Creating and formatting new messages
- Recalling and resending messages
- Creating new contacts
- Working with the calendar
- Creating tasks and notes
- Working with Outlook data