Join Gini von Courter for an in-depth discussion in this video Change the Mark as Read setting, part of Outlook 2016: Advanced Tips and Tricks.
- View Offline
- [Instructor] If you were with me in the last movie,…you know that some of the messages onscreen…had already been read.…I returned, selected them, and marked them as unread,…so that I can talk to you more about the…behavior in the reading pane.…So I had seven unread messages, this one and the six below…it, and if I went from one to the next,…hitting the space bar, they're automatically…being marked as read.…Maybe I don't want that to happen.…Maybe when I'm just skimming through…or previewing my messages, I really don't want them…automatically marked as read because I'm skimming.…
The same thing is true if I take a look, for example,…at the message earlier that Jake sent me.…Simply hanging around on that message for a bit…and having it displayed in the reading pane,…whether I move, whether I hit the space bar,…no matter what I do, by default,…will mark it as read, whether I read it or not.…Maybe I clicked on this message, the phone rang,…and I never really read it, and yet when move from it,…it is marked as read as if I did.…
AuthorGini von Courter
- Finding a contact in seconds flat
- Flagging and color-coding emails
- Making use of favorites
- Speed reading email
- Dealing with junk mail
- Sharing your calendar via email
- Including screenshots
- Setting task reminders
- Cloning appointments
- Linking contacts
- Setting up automatic replies
- Reusing text with Quick Parts
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Top 10 Power Shortcuts
2. Organizing Your Inbox
3. Managing Incoming Messages
4. Sending and Replying to Messages
5. Creating Special Use Messages
6. Staying On Task
7. Tips and Tricks for Calendars
8. Tips for Working with People
9. More Tips and Tricks
Use Outlook Today2m 40s
Next steps1m 28s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.