Learn how to use the TO_DATE function to filter records from a table based on date values.
- [Instructor] We can also filter in SQL using dates.…So for example, let's start by selecting all rows…from our employees table.…So I'll type select star from employees.…Executing this query, we see that we have…a higher date column, which signifies the dates…that the employee joined our company.…So let's say, we wish to retrieve only rows…which contain employees that join our company…after the year 2000.…So to accomplish that, I'll type where…and specify the hire underscore date column,…because this is the column which I wish to filter on,…greater than, and then I'll need to use the…to underscore date function.…
We'll learn more about SQL functions later in our course,…but just for now, be aware that the…to underscore date function, which I'm about to use,…allows me to convert strings into dates.…So I can type to underscore date, and then,…inside parentheses, and inside single quotation marks,…specify the date I wish to use for my filter.…So for example, 01-JAN-2000,…specifying the date for January 1st, 2000, comma,…
Note: This training course is appropriate for beginning database developers with no prior experience with SQL or Oracle.
- Using Oracle SQL*Developer, the free development environment
- Selecting data from tables
- Filtering data
- Using functions to manipulate data
- Joining data from tables
- Creating tables
- Updating values
- Truncating data
- Grouping and ordering result sets
- Working with primary keys
- Checking constraints
Skill Level Beginner
Oracle 12c Database: Administrationwith David Yahalom3h 58m Beginner
Database Foundations: Core Conceptswith Adam Wilbert2h 14m Beginner
Database Foundations: Administrationwith Adam Wilbert1h 14m Beginner
1. Introduction to SQL
2. Preparing the Course Environment
Downloading the course VM2m 16s
3. Using Oracle SQL Developer
4. Basic SELECT Queries
5. String, Number, and Date Functions
6. Joining Table Data
7. Manipulating Data
8. Grouping Data
9. Advanced Topics
Next steps1m 33s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.