Learn how to convert date values to strings using the TO_CHAR function, which is especially useful for filtering based on a date value.
- [Instructor] The Oracle TO_CHAR sequel function…is especially useful when formatting how…date values are displayed by our sequel query.…So let's see it in action.…We'll start by selecting the first name column…and the hire date column of all employees…in our employees table.…As we can see, hire date is the value…of when an employee initially joined our company.…And as we can see, the format of how date values…are displayed is determined by the…session and database configuration.…
However, we can override it if we want to display…date values using a different format.…For example, maybe you want to see the month name…before the day of the month.…Or instead of seeing month names,…you just want to see a number corresponding to the month.…So one for January, two for February, and so on.…We can accomplish all that using the TO_CHAR function.…So let's see it in action.…We'll type TO_CHAR, and inside brackets specify…hire date, which is the column containing date values…on which we want to apply the TO_CHAR function,…
Note: This training course is appropriate for beginning database developers with no prior experience with SQL or Oracle.
- Using Oracle SQL*Developer, the free development environment
- Selecting data from tables
- Filtering data
- Using functions to manipulate data
- Joining data from tables
- Creating tables
- Updating values
- Truncating data
- Grouping and ordering result sets
- Working with primary keys
- Checking constraints
Skill Level Beginner
Database Foundations: Core Conceptswith Adam Wilbert2h 14m Beginner
Database Foundations: Administrationwith Adam Wilbert1h 14m Beginner
Oracle 12c Database: Administrationwith David Yahalom3h 58m Beginner
1. Introduction to SQL
2. Preparing the Course Environment
Downloading the course VM2m 16s
3. Using Oracle SQL Developer
4. Basic SELECT Queries
5. String, Number, and Date Functions
6. Joining Table Data
7. Manipulating Data
8. Grouping Data
9. Advanced Topics
Next steps1m 33s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.