Learn how to filter data based on date values using the TO_CHAR function inside your WHERE clause.
- [Instructor] We can also use Oracle to_char…sequel function…when filtering for specific date values.…Let's start by selecting the first name…and hire date columns from our employees table.…And let's assume that we want to see…only employees who have been hired…in the month of January.…So in order to accomplish that using the to_char function…you can just type where to_char,…specify the hire date column…and a MON format math…inside quotation marks.…
So we essentially extract only the month…from the hire date column.…Equals, and inside quotation marks uppercase JAN…signifying January.…Running this query will show me only employees…who have been hired during January.…Keep in mind that if we change the format math…from…MON…which returns the month name…as a three letter code,…so J A N for January for example…to MM which returns two digits…signifying the month numbers…or 01 for January.…
And run the query as is.…The query will return zero records.…We'll also have to change JAN to 01…in order for the query to return our desired data.…
Note: This training course is appropriate for beginning database developers with no prior experience with SQL or Oracle.
- Using Oracle SQL*Developer, the free development environment
- Selecting data from tables
- Filtering data
- Using functions to manipulate data
- Joining data from tables
- Creating tables
- Updating values
- Truncating data
- Grouping and ordering result sets
- Working with primary keys
- Checking constraints
Skill Level Beginner
Database Foundations: Core Conceptswith Adam Wilbert2h 14m Beginner
Database Foundations: Administrationwith Adam Wilbert1h 14m Beginner
Oracle 12c Database: Administrationwith David Yahalom3h 58m Beginner
1. Introduction to SQL
2. Preparing the Course Environment
Downloading the course VM2m 16s
3. Using Oracle SQL Developer
4. Basic SELECT Queries
5. String, Number, and Date Functions
6. Joining Table Data
7. Manipulating Data
8. Grouping Data
9. Advanced Topics
Next steps1m 33s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.