Learn how to convert numbers to strings using the TO_CHAR function.
- [Instructor] We can use the TO_CHAR function…to convert a number into a string…and give it a specific format.…So for example, if I'll type SELECT TO_CHAR,…salary, which is the salary column from my…employees table and specify the following format string…as the second argument for my TO_CHAR function,…the output of data from my table will look as follows.…Note that using this format string…formatted the number output into a more readable string…representation of that number…that better represents salaries.…
That's because the L character you see here…represents local currency as configured…in my database.…And the combination of numbers and letters…represent the formatting mask on how to format…the data returned from the database.…Note what happens if I remove the L character…and run my query again.…I still got my numbers formatted as strings…but without the currency symbol.…Note the difference between this method…of formatting numbers to be displayed…as part of my single query and just typing the…column name itself.…
Note: This training course is appropriate for beginning database developers with no prior experience with SQL or Oracle.
- Using Oracle SQL*Developer, the free development environment
- Selecting data from tables
- Filtering data
- Using functions to manipulate data
- Joining data from tables
- Creating tables
- Updating values
- Truncating data
- Grouping and ordering result sets
- Working with primary keys
- Checking constraints
Skill Level Beginner
Oracle 12c Database: Administrationwith David Yahalom3h 58m Beginner
Database Foundations: Core Conceptswith Adam Wilbert2h 14m Beginner
Database Foundations: Administrationwith Adam Wilbert1h 14m Beginner
1. Introduction to SQL
2. Preparing the Course Environment
Downloading the course VM2m 16s
3. Using Oracle SQL Developer
4. Basic SELECT Queries
5. String, Number, and Date Functions
6. Joining Table Data
7. Manipulating Data
8. Grouping Data
9. Advanced Topics
Next steps1m 33s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.