Learn how to use basic functions in SQL to manipulate values returned by your SQL query.
- [Instructor] Substring, or SUBSTR as it's known…in Oracle dialect, allows us to truncate the length…of string values, that is varchar data types,…when we select data from our tables.…Let's see it in action.…We'll start by selecting all columns…from our jobs table.…Let's divert our attention specifically…to the job title column.…As you can see, this column contains…string values, or varchar values,…of variable lengths.…
So President is shorter than…Administration Vice President.…Using SUBSTR we can restrict or truncate…the length of strings returned from our tables.…So for example, I can type substr,…that's the function name, bracket,…provide the column name on which…I want to apply the function, that is…job_title, comma, and then provide…a starting position for the function,…say the first character, comma, and a length.…
Say five characters.…And I can close the function using another bracket.…By using SUBSTR specifying the job title column,…the starting position of one,…and the length of five characters,…executing this query will truncate…
Note: This training course is appropriate for beginning database developers with no prior experience with SQL or Oracle.
- Using Oracle SQL*Developer, the free development environment
- Selecting data from tables
- Filtering data
- Using functions to manipulate data
- Joining data from tables
- Creating tables
- Updating values
- Truncating data
- Grouping and ordering result sets
- Working with primary keys
- Checking constraints
Skill Level Beginner
Database Foundations: Core Conceptswith Adam Wilbert2h 14m Beginner
Database Foundations: Administrationwith Adam Wilbert1h 14m Beginner
Oracle 12c Database: Administrationwith David Yahalom3h 58m Beginner
1. Introduction to SQL
2. Preparing the Course Environment
Downloading the course VM2m 16s
3. Using Oracle SQL Developer
4. Basic SELECT Queries
5. String, Number, and Date Functions
6. Joining Table Data
7. Manipulating Data
8. Grouping Data
9. Advanced Topics
Next steps1m 33s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.