RMAN provides capabilities to automate the management of your database archived redo logs and prevent space from running out in your fast recovery area. In this video, learn about archived redo log management and how to use the DELETE ARCHIVELOG and BACKUP ARCHIVELOG DELETE INPUT commands to delete archived redo logs that were backed up and are no longer required.
- [Instructor] In addition to managing our backup sets,…RMAN also provides the capabilities…to manage, delete, and retain archive logs…based on certain conditions.…Most database administrators use RMAN…as the preferred tool to both create…archived redo log backups as well as manage both…the archive redo log backups themselves…and the actual database archive redo logs.…
That's because RMAN provides both the capability…to delete backups of our archived redo logs…when they're no longer required and also delete…the actual database archived redo logs themselves…after they have been successfully backed up.…These capabilities make RMAN the preferred tool…for both archived log backup as well…as archived log management.…So let's see these capabilities in action.…
Before we can start, we need…to create some archived redo logs.…So in order to accomplish that,…we'll open a connection to our Oracle database…as the sys DBA user, so I'll type SQL Plus as this DBA,…and perform several redo log switches.…Remember that every time Oracle performs a redo log switch,…
- Complete vs. incomplete recovery
- Point-in-time recovery
- Failure categories
- Preparing the virtual machine
- Performing user-managed backups
- Restoring from manual backups
- Performing full and incremental backups with RMAN
- Recovering a PDB and CDB
- Exporting and importing data with Oracle Data Pump
- Performing logical backups with Data Pump
- Using Flashback Query, Table, and Database
- Creating restore points
Skill Level Intermediate
Oracle 12c Database: Administrationwith David Yahalom3h 58m Beginner
Database Foundations: Core Conceptswith Adam Wilbert2h 14m Beginner
Database Foundations: Administrationwith Adam Wilbert1h 14m Beginner
Learning Relational Databases (2014)with Adam Wilbert2h 39m Beginner
1. Backup and Recovery Core Concepts
2. Failure Categories and Backup Types
3. Preparing the Course VM
4. User-Managed Backups
5. Recovery Manager (RMAN)
6. Oracle Data Pump
7. Oracle Flashback
What's next?2m 7s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.