Learn how you can combine the values of two string columns using the CONCAT function and the || characters.
- [Instructor] String concatenation allows us to chain…multiple strings together, that is, combine the values…of multiple varchar data types or string…retrieved by a SQL query into one longer string value.…Let's see an example.…We'll start by selecting the first name…and last name values from our employees table.…We can concatenate or combine the values of first name…and last name so that instead of the SQL query…returning name in two distinctly different columns,…which is how the data is stored in the table,…the SQL query can return them as one concatenated string.…
We simply do that by adding concat,…which is the name of the function,…and then inside brackets, specify the two column values…we want to combine together or concatenate together.…Running this query, we see that we got…a combined output of both columns.…We can also use concat and combine a literal string…with the value retrieved from a database column.…So for example,…I can type the concat function name, bracket,…and then First Name, comma,…and the first name column, comma, concat.…
Note: This training course is appropriate for beginning database developers with no prior experience with SQL or Oracle.
- Using Oracle SQL*Developer, the free development environment
- Selecting data from tables
- Filtering data
- Using functions to manipulate data
- Joining data from tables
- Creating tables
- Updating values
- Truncating data
- Grouping and ordering result sets
- Working with primary keys
- Checking constraints
Skill Level Beginner
Oracle 12c Database: Administrationwith David Yahalom3h 58m Beginner
Database Foundations: Core Conceptswith Adam Wilbert2h 14m Beginner
Database Foundations: Administrationwith Adam Wilbert1h 14m Beginner
1. Introduction to SQL
2. Preparing the Course Environment
Downloading the course VM2m 16s
3. Using Oracle SQL Developer
4. Basic SELECT Queries
5. String, Number, and Date Functions
6. Joining Table Data
7. Manipulating Data
8. Grouping Data
9. Advanced Topics
Next steps1m 33s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.