Point-in-time recovery allows database administrators to recover the database to a specific point in time, either via an SCN or timestamp value, instead of the most recent transaction. In this video, learn the principles of point-in-time recovery and the types of database failures where it can become essential to perform point-in-time recovery for your database.
- Let's take a closer look on how…Point-In-Time-Recovery is performed in an…oracle database using a combination…of the database backup and the database…archive redo logs.…Let's start our imaginary day at 12 PM.…I actually wish this was always the case,…but anyway, let's say we performed the…full database backup precisely at 12PM.…That's the first thing we did when…we arrived at the office.…A couple of hours have passed,…and it's now 4PM.…
So we took another database backup.…We are diligent DBAs, so we take regular…backups of our oracle database.…After the second backup has completed,…we now have one database backup from 12PM,…and another database backup from 4PM.…Some more time has passed, and it's now 8PM.…Hopefully, we are not in the office anymore,…but, nonetheless, we get notified about…a major database failure which have occurred…and we need to restore our oracle database.…
We immediately take a look at our…database backups and see that we only…have backups from 12PM and 4PM.…So if we use the 4PM backup to…restore our database,…
- Complete vs. incomplete recovery
- Point-in-time recovery
- Failure categories
- Preparing the virtual machine
- Performing user-managed backups
- Restoring from manual backups
- Performing full and incremental backups with RMAN
- Recovering a PDB and CDB
- Exporting and importing data with Oracle Data Pump
- Performing logical backups with Data Pump
- Using Flashback Query, Table, and Database
- Creating restore points
Skill Level Intermediate
Oracle 12c Database: Administrationwith David Yahalom3h 58m Beginner
Database Foundations: Core Conceptswith Adam Wilbert2h 14m Beginner
Database Foundations: Administrationwith Adam Wilbert1h 14m Beginner
1. Backup and Recovery Core Concepts
2. Failure Categories and Backup Types
3. Preparing the Course VM
4. User-Managed Backups
5. Recovery Manager (RMAN)
6. Oracle Data Pump
7. Oracle Flashback
What's next?2m 7s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.