Oracle provides a set of technologies and tools that can be used to perform database backups. Each Oracle backup technology is optimized for recovery from a different category of failure. In this video, learn about the different techniques for Oracle backup including user-managed backups, RMAN, Data Pump, and Flashback.
- [Instructor] Let's quickly go over…the different Oracle Backup Technologies,…which we will cover throughout this course,…and discuss their intended use cases.…Starting with User-managed hot backups,…which is a fancy way to call an Oracle backup strategy…in which Oracle's main backup and recovery tool RMAN…is not used.…This is the physical database backup strategy…where the DBA takes periodic backups…of the database data files and review logs…using operating system commands.…
It could be thought of as the most rudimentary…backup and recovery solution for Oracle.…Just copy the physical database file…from the storage device your database is using…to a safe and secure location.…You can either do this while the database is down,…although due to the down time this will cause…for a database, it's rarely done this way,…or while the database is running,…by first switching the database…to a special online backup mode.…
We'll talk exactly how you can accomplish that…later in our course.…While this is a very simple and basic approach…
- Complete vs. incomplete recovery
- Point-in-time recovery
- Failure categories
- Preparing the virtual machine
- Performing user-managed backups
- Restoring from manual backups
- Performing full and incremental backups with RMAN
- Recovering a PDB and CDB
- Exporting and importing data with Oracle Data Pump
- Performing logical backups with Data Pump
- Using Flashback Query, Table, and Database
- Creating restore points
Skill Level Intermediate
Oracle 12c Database: Administrationwith David Yahalom3h 58m Beginner
Database Foundations: Core Conceptswith Adam Wilbert2h 14m Beginner
Database Foundations: Administrationwith Adam Wilbert1h 14m Beginner
Learning Relational Databases (2014)with Adam Wilbert2h 39m Beginner
1. Backup and Recovery Core Concepts
2. Failure Categories and Backup Types
3. Preparing the Course VM
4. User-Managed Backups
5. Recovery Manager (RMAN)
6. Oracle Data Pump
7. Oracle Flashback
What's next?2m 7s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.