Learn how to merge two sections into one.
- [Instructor] Just when you think your notebook is organized perfectly, you realize that consolidating content may be easier to view. No one wants section overload. I'm going to show you how to merge two sections into one. Let's get started by locating the two sections that need to be merged. Here's the Amenities section. This section contains several pages, like dining options, spa, room layouts, and more. We'd like to move everything that's in this section into the other section that relates to the same information about the Landon Hotel.
Within the Landon Hotel section, we see that we have a page about the Bohemian Landon, another page about the sales brochure, and one about the online videos that are about this Hotel. So to get started with merging these two sections together, we're going to go back to the section that we'd like to move into that other section. So let's start with the Amenities section. We're going to start by right clicking over the Amenities section. From this menu, we're going to select Merge Into Another Section. The Merge Section menu that appears is going to show you all of the notebooks that you currently have open within OneNote 2016.
Here we can see the My Notebook that we're currently working in, and I do have another notebook called the Landon Hotel Marketing Plan that I could move this section into. So we're not just limited to moving a section within the same notebook. We can move that to another notebook that's already been created. We're going to keep this in the same notebook. So we're going to still work within the My Notebook area. We looked at the Landon Hotel section, that's the section we want to merge this into. So we'll give that a left click. And then click merge. Now the warning message that appears is letting you know that once you do this, this action cannot be undone.
You can't use the undo button from your Quick Access Toolbar, or that keyboard shortcut that may be associated with that command. If we're okay with this, we'll go ahead and click Merge Sections. If you're not, then you're going to want to click cancel. Let's go ahead and merge this. Now that we've merged the two sections together, it's going to still keep that other section called Amenities, but Amenities is going to be empty. So everything, all the pages that were part of the Amenities section are moving into the Landon Hotel section. Now you might want to keep the Amenities section right? You might want to use that section for some other content that you're going to create, or move to that area.
So we could say no we don't want to delete it. In this case, we don't really need this section anymore. So we're going to go ahead and delete it. Great. Now we can see that the Amenities section no longer appears with the other sections listed at the top. And we are left with the Landon Hotel section. If we look over to the right within that Landon Hotel section, we can see the pages that were part of that section originally, and then starting with the Dining Options, here are all of the pages that have been moved into this section from Amenities. Now you know how to merge sections.
I hope this gets your notebooks organized perfectly.
- Using shortcuts
- Customizing the canvas view
- Merging content containers to consolidate ideas
- Password protecting notebook sections
- Taking meeting notes directly in an Outlook meeting
- Converting handwritten text to typed text
- Converting hand-drawn shapes to polished symmetrical shapes
- Importing content from other apps
- Sharing notes in a Skype for Business meeting
- Marking up web pages and saving to a notebook