Join Gini von Courter for an in-depth discussion in this video OneCloud apps for creating and editing documents, part of Box OneCloud Apps for Mobile Productivity.
- Four of the applications that are available in OneCloud are editing applications. They're created to allow you and I to be able to edit documents in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint and to be able to work with PDF files. The first two apps are CloudOn and Documents to Go and these are more full featured editing applications. DocuSign Ink and PDF Expert are meant to be able to sign documents, and we'll look at both of those briefly. But before we jump into any of the editing apps, I'd like to compare the functionality of CloudOn and Documents to Go.
CloudOn and Documents to Go can both edit Word, Excel, and PowerPoint documents. And both of them can create brand new Word documents and CloudOn is particularly good at creating Word documents because that's the only document it can allow you to create. So, if you've spent a lot of time creating Word documents, you might be driven to CloudOn for that reason because it includes more of the Word features. If you need to create new Excel and PowerPoint documents, you'll need Documents to Go, rather than simply using CloudOn.
And both of these applications can allow you to view PDFs. All of this functionality is available in the lite or free version of these applications. But if you want to do more then you're going to have to either need to download the Pro or Premium versions or make an in-app purchase. Let's see what's available if we expend a little more cash on our apps. If you want to be able to use either of these applications with Cloud storage, whether that's Box or Dropbox or OneDrive or SugarSync, then you'll need to have the Pro or Premium version.
For Documents to Go, they actually sell this as a one time purchase. CloudOn has an ongoing subscription. If you'd like to be able to print though, notice that the CloudOn Pro version will allow you to do that as well, using either Google or Apple utilities. If you want to export to a PDF, that's your CloudOn Pro package. If you need to open a lot of password protected files, that would drive you towards Documents to Go Premium. So, again you have really four choices.
Do I want to work with the free version? Does it have enough for me that it will allow me to do my work? But, remember, that we're really trying to do work here with Box OneCloud. So you'll probably want to move to the Pro or Premium version of one or both of these apps. Let's dive into them and see how they work.
- Installing and connecting Box apps
- Editing and sharing documents
- Signing documents
- Taking written or audio notes
- Viewing and marking up PDFs
- Presenting with SlideShark
- Filling out forms with GoFormz