Join David Sparks for an in-depth discussion in this video Capturing tasks on the iPhone and iPad, part of OmniFocus for iOS Essential Training.
- The Omni Group spent a lot of time making sure it would be easy to add tasks to OmniFocus. The developers understood that us humans are busy, and the faster and easier we can get tasks and ideas into our task manager, the more likely we are to actually do so. Let me show you how to add tasks to OmniFocus on the iPad and iPhone. Here I am on my iPhone, and I'm going to use the iPhone for a few of these screencasts because you're going to be capturing on your iPhone more than your iPad. I'm going to open up the OmniFocus application in the lower left corner, and this is the main screen for OmniFocus.
And you'll see in the bottom right corner, there's a little New Item icon, it's an inbox with a + sign in it. This icon opens up a new action item in OmniFocus and you're going to see it in almost every screen, so keep an eye out for it. Wherever you're at, you can always add a new item to OmniFocus just by tapping that. I'll go ahead and tap it right now, and you can see it's got a new item available for me. I'll go ahead and type one in. Once I've got it typed in, I'll tap the save button.
And now I've added that to my Inbox in OmniFocus, you can see it's there. Let me add one more. And now you can see I'm in a different view, but I still have the New Item icon available in the lower right corner, so I'm going to go ahead and tap that again, and I'll add one more. Not only can I add a new task in this list, I can also add some details to it. So for instance, I can add a project or context, tapping on the flag item I could flag it as an important task, I could set the duration, the defer date, the due date, or even set repeating all from this area.
There's also different tabs for this. This is the Information tab, if I tap on the Note tab, I can add notes concerning this task, and with the Attachments tab, I can add attachments. I could even record a voice memo or take a picture and add it to the task right here on the phone. So as you can see, it's very easy to add new tasks right inside OmniFocus, I'm going to show you some of those other features in later videos. In a prior video, I showed you how to set up the OmniSync sync service. These tasks I've just typed in, because I've set that up, are going to be automatically on my iPad the next time we go over to that as well.
I'm going to tap the Home button now to go back to the Home screen, and then the Inbox to show that I've got these two items in my Inbox. And as you can see, adding tasks from inside OmniFocus is easy. That's not all, though. There are additional ways to add tasks in OmniFocus from outside the application, and I'm going to show those to you in the following videos.
The course then explains how to best process tasks: setting up projects, establishing contexts and repeating tasks, and using such important features as date deferral, flags, the check circle, perspectives, and the Forecast view. Finally, you'll learn how to efficiently review tasks and projects and how to manage OmniFocus tasks on an Apple Watch.
- Installing OmniFocus for iOS
- Setting up Omni Sync
- Working with OmniFocus iOS extensions
- Capturing tasks manually and with Siri
- Setting up projects in OmniFocus
- Creating due dates
- Flagging tasks
- Processing your inbox
- Building custom perspectives
- Acting on tasks
- Reviewing tasks
- Customizing other application settings