Join Maria Langer for an in-depth discussion in this video Using the Spike, part of Word 2013: Tips, Tricks, and Shortcuts.
Word's spike feature, enables you to cut multiple snippets of text from your word…documents and paste them, in the order…in which they were collected, into a document.…It's especially good for rearranging the contents of a document, or a…list within a document, without doing a bunch of cut and paste options.…Let's take a look at how it works.…The sample document I'm working with, is called Spike, and…it's from the chapter four folder, inside the exercise files folder.…It includes a pretty basic bulleted list with nine items on it.…
I want to shuffle them around a bit, to put the less active…tours at the top and the more active tours at the bottom.…So for example, backpack Cal is pretty active, I'll want that near the end.…And California calm should be near the top, because it's relaxing.…What I'll do is I'll cut the items from the list to the…spike in the order; in which I want them to appear in the document.…Then, when I've cut them all, I'll just paste…the contents of the spike, back into the document.…
- Tips for applying styles
- Clearing all the formatting from a document
- Opening recent files
- Changing default saving options
- Using time-saving keyboard shortcuts
- Using Quick Parts
- Enter text quickly with AutoText
- Using AutoCorrect to automatically enter text
- Inserting symbols and special characters
- Rearranging text with the Spike
- Editing the user dictionary
- Setting default document options
- Tips on styles and revealing formatting
- Creating drop caps
- Working with hyperlinks
- Shortcuts for navigating your document
- Wrapping text around images
- Tips for page breaks
- Embedding fonts
- Adding watermarks
Skill Level Appropriate for all
1. Five Tips Every Word User Should Know
2. File Management Shortcuts
Entering document properties6m 15s
3. Text Entry Shortcuts
4. Text Editing Shortcuts
5. Text Formatting Shortcuts
6. Page Formatting Shortcuts
7. Publishing Shortcuts
Next steps1m 15s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.