Join Maria Langer for an in-depth discussion in this video Showing and hiding formatting marks, part of Word 2013: Tips, Tricks, and Shortcuts.
…As you enter text into a Microsoft Word…document, Word is recording the characters you enter.…Most characters, like letters, numbers, and punctuation, are visible.…After all, when you create a document, you want people to be able to see it.…But Word also records invisible or non-printing characters such as spaces,…tab characters, paragraph marks, new line marks and optional hyphens.…Word refers to these as formatting marks.…We'll take a look at that in the formatting marks one document.…
You'll find it inside the exercise files folder inside the chapter one folder.…Now you can quickly show or hide all formatting marks in a document by…clicking the Show Hide Paragraph button in the paragraph group of the home ribbon.…That's this little button right here.…Right now they're turned off.…But if I click the button, the characters appear.…The backwards P characters are paragraph marks…that are inserted each time you press enter.…The floating dots between words are space characters that…are inserted each time you press the space bar.…
- Tips for applying styles
- Clearing all the formatting from a document
- Opening recent files
- Changing default saving options
- Using time-saving keyboard shortcuts
- Using Quick Parts
- Enter text quickly with AutoText
- Using AutoCorrect to automatically enter text
- Inserting symbols and special characters
- Rearranging text with the Spike
- Editing the user dictionary
- Setting default document options
- Tips on styles and revealing formatting
- Creating drop caps
- Working with hyperlinks
- Shortcuts for navigating your document
- Wrapping text around images
- Tips for page breaks
- Embedding fonts
- Adding watermarks
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Five Tips Every Word User Should Know
2. File Management Shortcuts
Entering document properties6m 15s
3. Text Entry Shortcuts
4. Text Editing Shortcuts
5. Text Formatting Shortcuts
6. Page Formatting Shortcuts
7. Publishing Shortcuts
Next steps1m 15s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.