Join Maria Langer for an in-depth discussion in this video Inserting special hyphens, spaces, and symbols, part of Word 2013: Tips, Tricks, and Shortcuts.
…Word supports a number of special characters and…symbols that you might find useful in your documents.…I'm not talking about just bullets and…maybe the Euro symbol and dingbat characters.…I'm talking about special characters that perform functions inside your documents.…But don't worry, we'll talk about bullets and symbols too.…I've created a special example document that…not only explains what some of words special…characters can do for you, but it gives you a place to experiment with them.…It's called hyphens and more and you can find it…in the chapter four folder inside the exercise files folder.…
Let's give this a try.…The first character I want to cover is called the N dash.…An N dash is a dash that is slightly longer than a hyphen.…Basically, it's length is a length of a lowercase letter N.…As it says on my sample document, an N dash is…commonly used in index entries to separate the numbers in a range.…But that's only one use for it.…You might have other uses for it.…Maybe to separate the numbers in a phone number.…
- Tips for applying styles
- Clearing all the formatting from a document
- Opening recent files
- Changing default saving options
- Using time-saving keyboard shortcuts
- Using Quick Parts
- Enter text quickly with AutoText
- Using AutoCorrect to automatically enter text
- Inserting symbols and special characters
- Rearranging text with the Spike
- Editing the user dictionary
- Setting default document options
- Tips on styles and revealing formatting
- Creating drop caps
- Working with hyperlinks
- Shortcuts for navigating your document
- Wrapping text around images
- Tips for page breaks
- Embedding fonts
- Adding watermarks
Skill Level Appropriate for all
1. Five Tips Every Word User Should Know
2. File Management Shortcuts
Entering document properties6m 15s
3. Text Entry Shortcuts
4. Text Editing Shortcuts
5. Text Formatting Shortcuts
6. Page Formatting Shortcuts
7. Publishing Shortcuts
Next steps1m 15s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.