Along with lists, document libraries are one of the key features of SharePoint 2013. Like lists, a site may have multiple document libraries for different purposes. In this video we create a document library and demonstrate how to add the library to Quick Launch for easy access as well as remove the default Documents library from Quick Launch.
- [Voiceover] In this video, we'll shift our focus to document libraries. Along with lists, document libraries are one of the key features of SharePoint 2013. Like lists, a site may have multiple document libraries for different purposes. Perhaps your human resource department has a document library for policies and procedures and needs another library to store resumes and applicant information. We'll start our exploration by creating a document library. While we're in here, we'll also make sure that we can get to that library easily by adding it to our Quick Launch.
SharePoint comes with a default documents library and we don't think we're gonna use that that much, so while we're changing things on Quick Launch, we'll remove that default document library from Quick Launch. I'm back in my SharePoint site and let's go create a document library. I'll go to my settings gear on the right hand side and choose Add an App. As you can see, there is only one document library template.
Unlike lists, only one template for document libraries. So, we'll select that document library template and I'm gonna call my library HRDocuments. Click Create to make the document library and now let's go do some quick changes. You may notice that my HRDocuments library that I just created appears on the left hand side in my Quick Launch under Recent.
I'd like to explicitly add it to my Quick Launch because later, I may choose to change the order of the items in Quick Launch. So, I'll click on my HRDocuments to open it up. On the Library ribbon, I'll choose Library Settings. Select List Name, Description, and Navigation. Towards the bottom of that screen, under Navigation, I get to specify whether this document library appears on the Quick Launch.
I'll say Yes and while I'm in here, I'm also gonna do a quick edit to that name to put the space in between the HR and the Documents. Save my changes and I'll use my breadcrumb navigation at the top to return to the document library. I now see my HR Documents appearing in the Quick Launch. Right up above that is my Documents and I'd like to remove that from Quick Launch.
Select it from Quick Launch to open the library, go to my Library tab, Library Settings, choose List Name, Description and Navigation, and this time, under Navigation, I'll click the option for No to remove the Document library from Quick Launch. Save my change and now my default Documents library does not appear on my Quick Launch. Bear in mind, when we remove something to Quick Launch, it doesn't remove it from the SharePoint site.
It just simply removes that navigation element. So, quick recap, you can create document libraries using the one and only template for document libraries. You can add a library to Quick Launch using the Library Settings choice on the Library ribbon. If you choose to, you can go ahead and remove the default Documents library from Quick Launch if you don't think your organization is going to use it that frequently.
Disclaimer: Microsoft does not produce, provide, or endorse this video training course.
- Understanding the exam objectives, format, and registration process
- Creating and configuring lists
- Modifying list items, views, and columns
- Creating and editing libraries
- Setting up content types
- Managing SharePoint sites
- Creating new site pages
- Sharing information in newsfeeds and blogs
- Storing files in OneDrive
- Refining SharePoint search results