Join Gini von Courter for an in-depth discussion in this video Using the Workgroup Templates folder to share templates, part of Forms in Depth with Word for Mac 2016.
- So congratulations, you created this really great form, saved it as a template and now some other people in your work group also want to have access to be able to use this template or other templates that you've created. There is a built-in method in Office for sharing templates in a work group and it's not a hidden feature, but it's not a feature that screams out, please use me. It is, however, a really great way to distribute templates in a work group. So before you take a form and send it to your colleague and say, just go ahead and save this as a template and use it.
I want to introduce you to the work group templates feature so that you understand how it works. The work group templates folder is set up in Word but it also works in Excel and PowerPoint. But if you only want to use it in Excel, you'd still come to Word to set it up. What you're going to do to access the work group template is you're going to go to Word, preferences. Then you're going to go to file locations. You'll notice here the user template file location. When I saved my form as a template, this is where it went, but right below that is work group templates, and I'm allowed to choose any location here I wish.
The attributes of this location are it needs to be some place that every person in my work group where there are people that I want to share templates with have access to, and you only get to set this once. You don't get to have templates for this group of people I work with and another location for other templates for a second group of users. You only get one work group templates folder, so often this will be departmentally one folder, or for a small business, everybody has the same work group templates folder.
Now it's not necessary that all users be able to save templates to the folder. It might be that you have a small number of people who can create templates and save them to the work group templates folder, and everybody else simply has the ability to read. That's enough. You can open up a document from here and be able to use it without needing to modify it, but every user in your work group needs to do this step, which is to modify the work group templates location. You're going to then go to work group templates and find a particular location that is available to everyone, you've already determined you're going to use, and you're going to choose that folder, and simply open it, and then that will be your new work group templates location.
Whenever you then in Microsoft Word choose file, new from template, you not only see the templates that are available in your templates folder, like Landon Event Inquiry. You also get to see all of the templates that are in the work group templates folder. By using the work group templates folder feature, it's easy to maintain templates. Any time I need to modify a template, I don't need to e-mail it to everybody who's using it. I simply change the template that's in the work group templates folder, and then next time each user goes file, new from template, they'll get the most recent template that was created and saved to that folder.
- Starting with a form template
- Gathering form requirements
- Formatting form tables
- Inserting form controls: lists, date pickers, check boxes, and more
- Protecting the form
- Saving a form as a Word template
- Sharing form templates with your team