Review common password issues, including mistyped, locked out, and licensing issues.
- [Instructor] If you asked a hundred support technicians their top user support issues, they would all answer, passwords, passwords, passwords. With a rise in cloud services, we're also seeing licensing issues climbing up the list. If a single user reports that they have a sign-in problem, that is usually isolated to that user and not the whole workforce or related to the domain controller. Issues will relate to their username or password, or both, such as an expired password.
Common sign-in issues reported by users include incorrect usernames, incorrect passwords, mistyped passwords, or forgotten passwords, and locked out user accounts. How often have you seen the Num or Caps Lock enabled, and that can cause problems. Where you have multiple users all having sign-in issues, then this is probably related to the portal or your networking infrastructure, such as a local switch, or the internet gateway. For portal sign-in issues, when multiple users are having sign-in issues, you should check the services running, and from the admin portal, the status of the service, and if there are any alerts or warnings.
If you cannot access this from your PC, then use a mobile device such as your smartphone. Note that for Microsoft cloud services, after 10 unsuccessful sign-in attempts, the user will be locked out for one minute. And subsequent incorrect sign-in attempts will lock out the user for increasing durations. If users can't sign in to a cloud service, such as Microsoft Office 365, Microsoft Azure, or Microsoft Intune, and the problem is not related to a password issue or a lack of service issue, then it could be due to a licensing problem.
Problems related to licensing can include a user that has not been assigned a license, a service or term of subscription that has expired, or the user account may not have been enabled.
- Common sign-in issues and resolutions
- Network connectivity tools
- Installing and running the Microsoft Office 365 Support and Recovery Assistant tool
- Troubleshooting Exchange ActiveSync
- Outlook profile repair
- Troubleshooting OneDrive for Business issues
- Delegated mailbox issues
- Troubleshooting common Office 365 SharePoint problems
- Common Skype for Business Online problems