Explore Outlook profile repair using the Office 365 Support and Recovery Assistant.
- [Narrator] Sometimes the email profile which holds users' data and settings can become corrupt. When this occurs, Outlook may prevent the profile from loading correctly. An email profile in Outlook is used to remember which email account you are using and where the data for each of these accounts is stored. Each Outlook profile contains the following information. Information such as username, display name, email server name, and account password.
Plus, the mailbox data information, such as the data, location, rules, message contacts, calendars, notes, and more. When you create a new user mailbox in Outlook, a new profile is created. The profiles are stored in the Windows registry, and are retrieved each time Outlook is opened. If you're having problems connecting to your email in Outlook, your email profile may have become corrupted or damaged. And this could be causing the issue.
Historically, if you could not open Outlook to repair your profile, you'll simply delete and recreate the profile. But now, you should use the new Office 365 Support and Recovery Assistant tool to diagnose and repair the profile. The tool can be downloaded from Microsoft from their link on-screen, diagnostics.outlook.com. Let's take a look at how to repair an Outlook email account with the Office 365 Support and Recovery Assistant.
First, we need to open a browser and download the tool from diagnostics.outlook.com. I'll click download. And then run. I can close the browser. The application will install and automatically launch, and create a desktop icon for future use. We need to accept the license. And we'll select the Outlook icon if we're having problems with an Outlook profile. Review the different problems available, review the problems available, and select the most appropriate.
There's no specific problem for a faulty profile, so I'll select give me help setting up my Office 365 email in Outlook. Notice that the tool has collected Adriana's credentials from Windows 10, so we don't have to sign in again. I'll select next, and confirm that this is the affected machine, and click next again. The tool will attempt to recreate Adriana's profile and automatically repair Outlook 2016.
We'll allow the tool to continue by selecting yes, and reconfirm our credentials. We'll now open Outlook. And notice that Outlook now sets a local copy of their mailbox. Depending on the size of your mailbox, this can take several minutes. The configuration of Outlook is complete. We can minimize and confirm that the tool has fixed our Outlook problem by selecting yes.
I'll select my problem's fixed. Rate the tool. And click submit. Notice that the Microsoft Office 365 Support and Recovery Assistant stays in the desktop for future use.
- Common sign-in issues and resolutions
- Network connectivity tools
- Installing and running the Microsoft Office 365 Support and Recovery Assistant tool
- Troubleshooting Exchange ActiveSync
- Outlook profile repair
- Troubleshooting OneDrive for Business issues
- Delegated mailbox issues
- Troubleshooting common Office 365 SharePoint problems
- Common Skype for Business Online problems