Join Jess Stratton for an in-depth discussion in this video Launch Outlook and add an email account, part of Office 365: Learning Outlook.
- We're going to start right from the very beginning. Let's launch the app and go through the initial wizard to set up our first email account. At the welcome screen I'll click the Next button on the bottom right-hand side of the screen I do want to set up an email account so I'll leave Yes selected and click Next again. The easiest way to get started if you don't know what type of email account you have is to put in your name and email address and password. Many times Outlook can figure out the type of email address that you have based on that information. Sometimes it can automatically do the settings for you sometimes it can't but the easiest way to find out for sure is to get started by putting in your name, email address, and password.
So I'm going to do that right now. Now, I know that this is an Office 365 account but I would do this anyway no matter what type of email account it was. I'll put in the information and click the Next button. Outlook is going to try to identify the settings and if it can't, it will tell me in the next step. I'm already set up. I'm going to add another account so I'll click Add another account on the bottom right-hand side and this time we'll add a Gmail account. I'll click the OK button to restart Outlook and here's where I can go through and start the process again.
Now, even though this is a Gmail account I'm still going to do it the same way. I'm going to put in everything that I currently know about that email account. I'll click the Next button on the bottom right-hand side of the screen and, once again, Outlook is going to search for the settings and configure it. Now, I know that Outlook automatically knows how to configure Gmail settings and it automatically knows how to configure many different types of accounts such as Verizon, Yahoo Mail, etc. So, always put in your username and password and see if it can configure it. If it can't, it will probably require a call to your internet service provider to find out what those settings are.
If you need to do that, I'd go much further in-depth into the mail settings in my Outlook essential training course. Another close-out and re-start of Outlook may be required to get all your email accounts to show up.
- Adding email accounts in Outlook
- Reading and replying to email
- Working with attachments
- Handling junk mail
- Creating new contacts
- Creating calendar appointments and meetings
- Setting preferences
- Creating a mail signature