In this video, Sharon explores the functions and requirements of the help desk role and the benefits of having a dedicated Office 365 help desk, which can improve productivity with Office 365 tenants.
- [Instructor] Before jumping in to the nuts and bolts of the course, let's first take a look at the help desk role and some of the skills that are required for this very important role within your organization. First, you'll need a very strong Office 365 knowledge. That means that you need to be able to use and understand the product. You may consider taking the Certification Exams to establish yourself as an authority on Office 365. There are two Certification Exams, Exam 70-346 which is Managing Office 365 Identities and Requirements, and the second Exam 70-347 Enabling Office 365 Services.
When you successfully complete both of these exams, you will have earned the certification MCSA for Office 365. You will need excellent research skills. You will need to be able to use the most common search techniques within your browser. For example, you'll need to be able to search for an exact match. By putting Office 365 Planner in quotes, that is your exact match search. You can search using wildcards. In our example here, we have the asterisks and Planner.
You can search for a specific site, such as here, site, and we're going to research in support.office.com. And finally, we can exclude certain words. In our search here, we have mustang speed, but we're going to exclude the search term car. Next, you will need excellent troubleshooting skills. You'll need to be able to think outside of the box. You'll need to learn how to research, again, going back to our previous slide. And finally, you'll need to test search results to make sure that the solution is the correct solution and works and behaves as anticipated.
Next, you'll need phenomenal communication skills. You'll need to know how to listen. You'll need to then be able to ask the appropriate questions and you are going to need a whole lot of patience. You'll need to be aware that certain companies will use a ticketing system. And these ticketing systems manage the ticket or the issue lifecycle. And these systems will log, classify, prioritize, investigate, resolve, and finally close the ticket or the issue.
And finally, you may want to consider having a designated Office 365 Help Desk. And there's several reasons for this. First, a designated help desk would have subject matter experts on Office 365. And they would be current on recent changes and enhancements to Office 365. They'd be able to quickly resolve a user's issues because they are the subject matter experts. They can also suggest and introduce more efficient workflows for your users. And having a designated Office 365 Help Desk increases the utilization of Office 365.
And all of this leads to a happy and productive user experience.
- Training users
- Troubleshooting account and startup issues
- Repairing Office apps
- Working with Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook, Visio, and OneNote
- Communicating with Skype and Yammer
- Using OneDrive and SharePoint
- Fixing file synchronization issues