Find out how to install and run the Microsoft Office 365 Support and Recovery Assistant tool.
- If we've established that we've got a problem with Outlook or with our client connecting to Office 365, then we need to proceed to fix the problem. Microsoft Office, a set of diagnostic tools, which you can download, called Microsoft Office 365 Support & Recovery Assistant. The Support & Recovery Assistant tool is available from the diagnostics.outlook.com site. Let's take a look at what the tool can do, and then I'll demonstrate using it.
The tool can help ultimately diagnose and fix a range of issues with Outlook and Office 365. It needs to be downloaded onto the local computer which needs help. Some of the tests that the app can perform include checking licenses, verifying user's credentials, check for updates to the Outlook client software, check authentication, perform network continuity tests to the Office 365 servers and firewall protocol checks.
Let's drop onto our demo PC, and take a look at how to install and use the Office 365 Support & Recovery Assistant. First, we need to open a browser and download the tool from diagnostics.outlook.com. The homepage appears, and I can click Download now. And then click Run. I'll click Install, and minimize the browser. The app automatically starts, and I click I agree to the terms and conditions.
I'll choose from the options that best describe my problem. Take a look at the options. They cover many scenarios. I'll select Outlook and then click Next. I now need to fine tune the issue I'm having with Outlook. On this machine, I've installed Outlook, but I've not yet set it up. Let's get the wizard to help set that up for us. I'll select I need help setting up my Office 365 email in Outlook, and then click Next.
I need to confirm that this is the device that is being affected. I'll select Yes, and then click Next. I now need to enter the credentials for the user, and click Keep me signed in, and then click Next. The tool will start to run and check the settings, and run a diagnosis on the PC. This can take a few minutes, and the progress is displayed.
The wizard completes, and it's now ready to set up Office 365 email in Outlook. I'll click Yes. I need to re-sign in again and enter my credentials. The Outlook account profile has been created. I can now click Next. The wizard asks if the Outlook problem has been solved. We can click Yes, and indicate the problem has been fixed.
We like the tool, and click Submit. We can see that Outlook has opened and everything looks good. Let's minimize Outlook, and notice that the tool remains on the desktop, which allows you to reuse it again. if you encounter additional problems with Office 365.
- Common sign-in issues and resolutions
- Network connectivity tools
- Installing and running the Microsoft Office 365 Support and Recovery Assistant tool
- Troubleshooting Exchange ActiveSync
- Outlook profile repair
- Troubleshooting OneDrive for Business issues
- Delegated mailbox issues
- Troubleshooting common Office 365 SharePoint problems
- Common Skype for Business Online problems