Collaboration gets talked about a lot, but what does it really mean? What are the different elements of collaboration, and how do they show up in the workplace?
- Collaboration gets talked about a lot, but what does it really mean? A lot of different people have come up with definitions which are more or less accurate. The simplest definition comes straight from the dictionary, to work jointly with others or together especially in an intellectual endeavor. Ah, I think this works, but let's refine it a little. For our purposes, we're going to define business collaboration as having the culture, system, and tools in place to encourage and enable individuals and teams within an enterprise to work together and share information freely.
Business collaboration is not just tools, although those are a key element. For me, it's also having a mindset of sharing and cooperation, and most importantly, having a culture and leadership that actively encourages and rewards it. We'll touch on all of these elements in this course, but let's start with the easy stuff, tools. So let me ask, what are the different tools of collaboration and how do they show up in the workplace? Well here's my take on it, workplace collaboration tools are a combination of these things, file and document management, the ability for people to work together on materials simultaneously via co-editing functionality, written conversational applications like email and chat, telephone calls, and by extension, mobile phone and video calling too, digital communities and teams, places where people can organize themselves around a common goal or interest, I also wanna include integrated suites like Microsoft Office 365, Google, or IBM Connections.
These include combinations of collaborative functionality in an integrated package. And finally, let's add in the various types of hardware available today that boost collaboration capabilities, things like digital whiteboards, video enabled conference rooms, and voice activated digital assistants. It's quite a list isn't it? We'll look at these different elements in more detail during the videos in this chapter of the course.
- Identify the benefits of modern file collaboration tools.
- Describe the different approaches to setting up team spaces.
- Explain the technical requirements for a collaborative workplace.
- Outline success factors in migrating to a collaborative workplace.
- Illustrate how modern technology supports collaboration.
- Define business collaboration.