- What is a web service?
- Understanding the available transfer protocols and message formats
- Examining SOAP request and response formats
- Creating a simple SOAP service in ASP.NET
- Choosing a SOAP implementation
- Associating REST actions with HTTP requests
- Sending RESTful requests
- Creating OData request URIs
- Securing web services
Skill Level Beginner
- My name is David Gassner and this is Foundations of Programming: Web Services. This course is designed to help you understand the world of web services. Explaining different web service standards, web service messaging formats, and available ways of communicating over the web. I'll first define the meaning of the term "web service" and explore the history of how web services have been used in distributed computing. I'll then break down the components of web service including the transport protocol such as HTTP or SMTP, and the message format such as SOAP, ADAM, JSON, or plain old XML, and then I'll review some of the most popular web service standards including SOAP, REST, and Odata.
Whether you're a software developer, or a manager of software develop and projects, or just want to understand the terms used in the web service development world. I hope this course helps you get the information you need.