Join Michele Vallisneri for an in-depth discussion in this video Temperature analysis, part of Python: Data Analysis.
- Next, we need to load temperature data…from the newer files.…As we do that, we learn a couple new things about NumPy.…We see how to parse a fixed field text file,…and we see how to use ranges of datetime objects.…We will also use lots of Python list comprehensions,…which as I have told you, are incredibly useful…in solving all kinds of problems.…So, let's go back toJPython notebook.…I've copied everything that we did in the first video…into the Exercise Files 05_03_temperatures_begin.…
Let's select it.…I have only commented out the command to download…the station file over the internet.…Even if you have not downloaded it yourself,…you have that file already among the exercise files…for this chapter.…So, let's evaluate all the cells in the notebook,…and scroll to the bottom.…The daily weather files for the stations that we…have selected can be found in a no-i repository.…However, they are already in the exercise files folder…for this chapter.…Let's look at one of them.…We'll select Lee-hooey.…
Open the file in read mode, and look at the first ten lines.…
- Writing and running Python in iPython
- Using Python lists and dictionaries
- Creating NumPy arrays
- Indexing and slicing in NumPy
- Downloading and parsing data files into NumPy and Pandas
- Using multilevel series in Pandas
- Aggregating data in Pandas
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: The course shows how to download files from FTP and web servers using Python 3.X. How do I do the same thing with Python 2.7?
A: First import urllib, then use urllib.urlretrieve(URL,filename). For instance, to download the stations.txt files used in the chapter 5 video “Downloading and parsing data files,” you’d do urllib.urlretrieve(‘ftp://ftp.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/data/ghcn/daily/ghcnd-stations.txt','stations.txt').
1. Installation and Setup
2. Refresher: Data Containers in Python
3. Word Anagrams in Python
4. Introduction to NumPy
5. Weather Data with NumPy
6. Introduction to Pandas
7. Baby Names with Pandas
Next steps1m 36s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.