Join Michele Vallisneri for an in-depth discussion in this video Pandas overview, part of Introduction to Data Analysis with Python.
- Although Pandas is still a young package,…only at version .17 compared to 1.9 for NumPy,…it has gained broad acceptance in the Python community…as the data analysis tool for Python.…Pandas is built on top of NumPy…and it could be loosely described as NumPy with labels.…That is, it is a package that deals with data…in tabular form but which attaches more general…labels and not just numerical indices…to the rows and columns.…Here, when we say, "tables," we include also…one dimensional vectors, three dimensional…data cubes, and so on.…
Pandas significantly enhances NumPy.…In addition to adding data labels and descriptive indices,…it is also more robust in handling common data formats…and missing data.…It also adds relational-database operations,…such as joins.…If you want to do data science with Python,…I really recommend that you learn Pandas.…
- Writing and running Python in iPython
- Using Python lists and dictionaries
- Creating NumPy arrays
- Indexing and slicing in NumPy
- Downloading and parsing data files into NumPy and Pandas
- Using multilevel series in Pandas
- Aggregating data in Pandas
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Installation and Setup
2. Refresher: Data Containers in Python
3. Word Anagrams in Python
4. Introduction to NumPy
5. Weather Data with NumPy
6. Introduction to Pandas
7. Baby Names with Pandas
Next steps1m 36s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.