Join Michele Vallisneri for an in-depth discussion in this video NumPy overview, part of Python: Data Analysis.
- In this chapter, we're going to look at NumPy,…a third party package for Python that extends…the language with multi-dimensional arrays.…NumPy is a very important part of the Python ecosystem,…and it has become the fundamental package…for scientific computing with Python.…Here, we should take "scientific" to mean…"dealing with numbers and maths."…So, whenever you have long sets of numbers…or are doing math with them, NumPy is a good choice.…Let's talk a bit about how NumPy arrays are different…from Python containers.…
You may have heard Python variables described as labels.…They are not little cubbies in computer memory,…ready to receive a value.…Rather, the values are independent objects…with their own space in memory, and a Python variable…just points there; it's a name for that object.…You can have more than one variable referring…to the same object.…This mechanism is very flexible, and it also allows…for lists and dictionaries with heterogeneous elements.…However, doing that is not very efficient…when you are dealing with lots of values of the same type.…
- Writing and running Python in iPython
- Using Python lists and dictionaries
- Creating NumPy arrays
- Indexing and slicing in NumPy
- Downloading and parsing data files into NumPy and Pandas
- Using multilevel series in Pandas
- Aggregating data in Pandas
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: The course shows how to download files from FTP and web servers using Python 3.X. How do I do the same thing with Python 2.7?
A: First import urllib, then use urllib.urlretrieve(URL,filename). For instance, to download the stations.txt files used in the chapter 5 video “Downloading and parsing data files,” you’d do urllib.urlretrieve(‘ftp://ftp.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/data/ghcn/daily/ghcnd-stations.txt','stations.txt').
1. Installation and Setup
2. Refresher: Data Containers in Python
3. Word Anagrams in Python
4. Introduction to NumPy
5. Weather Data with NumPy
6. Introduction to Pandas
7. Baby Names with Pandas
Next steps1m 36s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.